A Report of Badi ko Saathi Program: in Kotbhairab VDCof Bajhang District,Nepal
The Badi ko Sathi Program is an effort to support the education of Badi girls residing in the Kotbhairab VDC,Thalara ,Bajhang, with the hope that educational attainment can contribute to improving the life of Badi Community.
The program started in 2006 after four Nepali women living in United States of America (us) heard about the challenges faced by Badi women and formed a small non- profit organization called Badi Ko Sathi (“BKS”). BKS raised fund in the US and reached out to CARE Nepal staff to request help with implementing the educational support program in Kotbhairab.
In order to involve community itself to manage the program in the long –run,a management committee with 13 members was found with the name of “Badi Chhatra Sahayog Samiti”(the “Committee”).The Committee was comprised of Badi community members ,school authority and the local leaders of the community .The committee started supporting the Badi girls who study in Thalara Higher Secondary School,Kholi with tution clases ,school uniforms and supplies,and personal hygiene products.The program continued from 2006 through the Committee, as there was problem in proper handling of the resource received ,proper recording and timely reporting the progress to BKS.
Objectives of Badi Ko Sathi program:
- To increate of Badi girls in Kotbhairab VDC,Bajhang
- Enable the Badi girls to empower themselves and the Badi community
- To help promote the life of the Badi women in Kotbhairabh VDC, Bajhang
- To prepare the Badi girls for acting as a change agent in their society
- To assist in reducing the different vulnerabilities and discrimination associated with the Badi community in Kotbhairab VDC,Bajhang through educational intervention.
To solve these problems of Badi community at Kotbhairab VDC Saipal team went to Badi community in thalara at 2071-2-19 BS. The team gathered the man and women of Badi community to inform the activity of Badi Ko Sathi as to educational support for their daughter and suggest to send school for study .After that the team went to school to admit the Badi’s daughter in the class according to their status.Twelve ladies of badi communities of different ages took admition in different classes.SDS supported school uniform, Stationery ,hygiene supporting things like toothpaste,soap,brush,Bag,geometry box etc.
Badi Community in figures :
- Location Ward no 3,Kotbhairab VDC,Bajhang
- Total family of Badi 30
- Total population 180 people (Females more in Number
- Approximate school student 40-50
Detail Figure of student female in school
Major problems seen in community Alcoholism, illiteracy, poverty,water and sanitation
Lack of awareness on sexual and reproductive health saving of financial Resource
family planning ,health care seeking behavior
After receiving these kinds all the of learning material all the Badi’s daughters under 15 years are going to school to study .They are engaged to earn education .From this they have no time to involve with their parents for bad habits like prostitution begging dancing .
Problems observed by team of Saipal Development Society ‘Badi Ko Sathi’ Program :
- Badi community is still backward more than expected .Many GOs, NGOs and INGOs are working for their wellbeing but they are still back . From above evidences still Badi women are following prostitution as their business.Badi people are still traditional .They believe on history and they don’t think for tomorrow.They don’t have their own land and use to work and beg from others.Badi girl are not interested to go to school because of the traditional thought of the guardians and environment.Drop rate among school going girls is seen high due to early marriage and family influence.Badi people are highly alcoholic(Parents and childrenequally).The allocated fund is not properly utilized .There is not financial transparency .Community people blame management committee, secretary and chairperson and secreatery blame community and chairperson. Chairperson blames community and secretary.General sanitation and hygiene condition in Badi community is very poor. People are seen less aware on the issue of family planning ,health educationand future saving .
- Most of the daughters of Badi’s community are involving to study in school but they are poor in classes due to the hesitation of society according their mother’s prostitution job and father’s deep habit of alcohol .To solve this problem SDS seek a ladies tution teacher in local level.But Kotbhairav is the backward area none of the girl is available for the tution SDS is going to search ladies tution teacher for the badi’s girl in different part of the district but SDS could not get the tution teacher due to the nominal subsidy.
Badi community is not interesting for their daughter’s habit because they have no time to involve in their traditional customs. If we can’t provide additional support for higher education our attempt will be water in sand. SDS will provide the girls additional support after Tihar like stationery ,school dress ,and hygine support material. Food security is main problem for Badi Communities.If we any stakeholder support for food security prostitution ,Alcoholism, dancing and begging customs will be less.